Graduate Financial Aid


FAQ’s of Graduate Students

Below is an example of the full cost of attendance for a graduate student registered for 6 hours.


(6 hours regular courses)


Tuition and Fees










Total Cost




If I have a question about my financial aid or my monthly billing statement, who should I contact?

For questions regarding financial aid (pending aid, outside scholarships, loans) please call 606.546.1223 or email

For questions regarding your monthly statement (payment plans, course fees, balance due), please call the business office at 606.546.1203 or

Union College offices are open Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Return to top

How often do I need to complete the graduate loan request form?

Students will need to complete one graduate loan request form for each check they wish to receive. If you have already received a check for the semester and additional funds are available in your account, you will need to submit an additional loan request form prior to any additional checks being issued.

Return to top

Is there a limit to the amount of Stafford loan funds I may borrow?

Graduate students are eligible for Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford loans and may borrow $20,500 annually and $138,500 over their graduate lifetime. 

Return to top

What is the difference between Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans?

A Subsidized Stafford loan does not accrue interest during school, while the Unsubsidized loan does accrue interest.  You are eligible for Stafford loans as long as you are registered for 6 hours in a given term.  Payments on both loans are deferred as long as you are enrolled half time, which is 6 hours on the graduate level.

Return to top

What happens if I decide to drop a class during the drop/add period?

Your financial aid is based upon the number of hours that you are registered for.  If you drop a class before the drop/add date your financial aid and charges will be adjusted accordingly.  If you withdraw from a class after the drop/add period, your financial aid may still be impacted; please contact the Financial Aid Office or Business Office for assistance in analyzing the impact on your financial aid and student account.

Return to top

I will have a credit on my account once all my financial aid is applied. When can I expect a refund check?

You will need to complete a refund request form.  Please note there will be more than one disbursement within a semester.  If your classes begin in different sub-terms, then your Spring I class may disburse in January, while Spring II may disburse in March. 

Additionally, all required documents must be completed before we can process your aid.  Please allow 14 days after the drop/add period for your refund to be processed.

Return to top

How can I check to see if my loans have been posted to my account?

Log into your MyUnion account, select the student tab, select business office from the menu on the left side of the page and then click on my account info.  Contact Deloria Faulkner in the Business Office at 606.546.1203 or

Return to top

Where can I find the refund request form?

You can complete the Refund Request Form through myUnion. It is available under the Students tab. Click Business Office, then select Student Refund Request Form under Business Office Forms. For additional assistance, contact Deloria Faulkner in the Business Office at 606.546.1203 or '; // --> .

Return to top

Do I qualify for the Teach Grant?

The Teach Grant provides up to $4000 per year to students who intend to teach in public, private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low income families.  Criteria to receive this grant includes: teaching in a high need field at a school serving low income students.  If you fail to complete the requirements then this grant will be converted to a loan.  For more information about this grant and steps to apply, please visit

Return to top

What is the difference between the full cost of attendance, tuition and books, and tuition only on the Graduate Loan Request form?

All schools have an estimated cost of attendance that incorporates direct tuition costs and estimated expenses for books, personal, transportation, and living. These amounts are prorated based on the number of hours that you are registered for each term.

Return to top