Veteran Benefits

VA Chapters

All class work must meet the requirements of your chosen program. You should report any changes in your class load to the VA Office to avoid over payments. Other questions? Ask the VA Office at Union College (1-606-546-1268) or the St. Louis Regional Office (1-888-443-4551).

Union College offers many programs to assist veterans and their dependents to attend college. Their benefits and requirements are described below.

Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty)

 If you paid $1200 to the program while on active duty, then you can receive:

  • $1,158 a month as a full-time student if you have served less than three years.
  • $1426 a month as a full-time student if you have served for three years or longer.
  • You may receive more if granted a "kicker" (i.e.: Army College Fund)
  • You may receive less if your attendance is less than full time.

How to apply

Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve)

 If you commit to a 6-year enlistment in the Military Reserves or National Guard, then you can receive:

  • $337 a month as a full-time student.
  • This amount may vary for the same reasons as above in Chapter 30.

 How to apply  

Chapter 1607 (Reserve Educational Assistance Program)

  If you were activated after September 11, 2001, then:

  • You are either eligible for education benefits or increased benefits.
  • If you are a National Guard member or an eligible reservist, you may get education benefits while in an approved training program.

How to apply

Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill) 

If you have 90 days or more of aggregate service on or after September 11,  or were discharged with a service-connected disability for the Post-9/11 GI,  then you can receive

  • Financial support for education and housing
  • Undergraduate and graduate degrees and vocational/technical training
  • Tutorial assistance, and licensing and certification test reimbursement
  • Your tuition cost paid based upon the highest in-state tuition charged by Union College in Kentucky.
  • The difference for more expensive tuition with the Yellow Ribbon Program.

How to apply

The GI Bill may be able to be transferred to dependents.

How to transfer (See for more information.)

Chapter 35 (Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance)

If you are a dependent of a Veteran deemed 100% totally and permanently disabled, service-connected or killed in action, then you may be eligible for $936.00 a month as a full-time student. This amount will be less if you are a part-time student. 

Dependents may be eligible for Kentucky War-Orphans tuition under one of the following statutes: If eligible, you can receive

  • KRS 164.505 - You may be eligible if veteran was killed in action while serving during a wartime period OR veteran died as the result of a service connected disability incurred provided the veteran's home of record upon entry int the Armed Forces was the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
  • KRS 164.515 - Veteran must meet one of th following requirements:
    • Is a Kentucky resident
    • Is rated 100% permanently and totally disabled
    • Is 100% disabled for compensation purpose
    • Can provide medical evidence showing permanent and total Veteran disability for a period of at least 30 days prior to death and the evidence is signed by a physician licensed to practice.
    • 45 months of training
    • training until you receive a degree or training until your 26th birthday.

    How to apply 

    Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)

    Veterans deemed 20% disabled or greater may be eligible. Recipients receive:

    • tuition
    • books
    • monthly allotment based on the number of dependents

     For more information contact the Louisville Veterans Affairs Office at 1-800-827-1000.

    How to apply