Through the critical study of texts and practice in thinking, writing, speaking, and listening, students become better prepared for the demands of a changing world. Graduates find careers in a variety of fields, including teaching, business and industry, public relations and journalism. In addition, these programs provide excellent preparation for graduate study in several disciplines as well as medical and law school.
Upon graduation from Union College with a major in English, students should be able to:
- Produce written texts that follow the conventions of standard English usage, that are clear, organized, developed and thoughtful, and that demonstrate awareness of audience.
- Interpret texts with understanding, appreciation and judgement.
- Discuss texts in their cultural contexts.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the history and structure of the English language.
- Demonstrate knowledge of major traditions of literature.