Expected Arrival Date
Your expected date of arrival on campus is listed as the Program Start Date on your I-20 form. It is important that you make plans to arrive by this date so you can participate in any necessary sessions or meetings.
If you have not yet received your I-20 form, you may want to contact the admissions office to check on your expected arrival date by emailing international admissions representative.
As you make travel arrangements to insure that you arrive by the expected arrival date and any subsequent departure date coincide with the Union College Academic Calendar. Final exams are given during the week following the last day of class. To view the academic calendar, click here
Free transportation is provided by UC’s Office of International Relations for students arriving at either of these airports when they first arrive. The UC shuttle service operates Monday through Saturday. Due to the distance from the airports to the campus, flights must arrive after 10:00 a.m. and before 10:00 p.m. For any flights that arrive after 10:00 p.m., students should be prepared to secure overnight accommodations at a nearby hotel and notify the Office of International Relations about when and where to meet you the following day.
Please submit the arrival form with your travel arrangements at least 2 weeks prior to your anticipated arrival.
Note: If you will be participating on an athletic team, be sure to communicate with your coach before making your flight arrangements. Student athletes who will participate in fall sports are often required to arrive on campus for summer practice sessions a few weeks prior to the beginning of the school semester (which is prior to the Program Start Date on your I-20 form).
If you have a friend or family member picking you up at an airport, please be sure to complete the arrival form so the Office of International Relations will know your arrival plans so your residence hall room will be prepared.
Other Transportation Options
There are two additional options for transportation to and from campus. Greyhound Bus Line, Inc. has a terminal in London, Kentucky, (just 20 miles from campus), and travels throughout the US. If you are considering using this service, you should expect to pay additional charges for taxi service from most airports to the local bus station, as well as from the London, KY bus station to campus.
Venture Cab, Inc. is a local cab service that is endorsed by the College and offers discounted fares to College students. Up to 6 students can travel to the same location and share the cost. Many students use Venture Cab to assist with transportation to:
- Nearby cities – for entertainment, dining and shopping opportunities
- Greyhound Bus Line Terminal - London, KY.
- Bluegrass Airport (LEX) – Lexington, KY
- McGee Tyson Airport (TYS) – Knoxville, TN
- Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky Airport (CVG) – Covington, KY
- Louisville International Airport – Standiford Field (SDF) – Louisville, KY
Important Travel Information
The U.S. Immigration Service website useful information for the F-1 Visa and what expect upon arrival at a U.S. port of entry.
Directions to Union College and about our area.
Visit the Union College vistor page to learn more about campus and the surrounding area. click here
Residence Hall Check In
Residence Halls open for international students on the expected date of arrival. Students who arrive before the residence halls open must make their own arrangements for off-campus housing until the residence halls open (see local hotel information below). Students are responsible for the cost of housing and their meals until the Residence Halls are open.
Residence Halls and room assignments are assigned on a first come first served basis, as Housing applications are received. In order to reserve a room, we must have the following forms completed as soon as possible, but not later than 2 weeks before you leave your home country:
- Housing application
- Medical forms
NOTE: Residence Halls and campus food services close for extended breaks between the fall and spring semesters (Mid December through Mid January), during the 1 week College spring break (Mid March), and throughout the summer (Early May until Mid August). Students should make advance plans for their housing and meals during this time. Depending on the length of the break, some students make the following arrangements:
- Return home (extended breaks and summer)
- Stay in a local hotel and eat at local restaurants at their own expense. (shorter breaks)
- Travel to visit with friends or family in the US. (shorter breaks and extended breaks)
Packing for your trip...
- Buy two good suitcases (as large as possible within size limitations)
- Put identification marks and labels on the bags
- Items to Have in Your Checked Baggage:
- Copies of all certificates/documents
- Medical history files
- Essentials (soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc)
- Items to Have in Your Carry On Baggage: (Having a carry-on bag is always a good idea, in case luggage is delayed or lost.)
- Medicines (including air-sickness)
- Reading materials for flight
- Original important documents (I-20, visa, tickets, passport, etc)
- Money and Travelers Checks (Arrange to send or take funds with you to pay for the
- Items needed to survive for a week (in case your luggage gets misplaced)
- Computer (if you plan to bring one with you)
- Eye glasses and prescription
- Items to Keep With You (pocket, purse, etc):
- Emergency contact list
- Traveler's Checks and cash
- Items to Leave at Home:
- Address & phone number where you can be reached
- Copies of all important documents (passport, I-20, medical record
A Week Before Your Flight...
- Check your flight schedule to see if there are any delays or changes (Notify the UC Office of International Relations if there are any changes)
- Rest well for the long journey
On the Day of Your Flight...
- Wear something comfortable (visit www.weather.com to learn about weather/temperature)
- Be at the airport 3-4 hours before departure
- Collect $20-$30 cash at the airport (part of it in $1 bills)
- Sleep as much as possible during the flight
Hotel Listing Information
If you arrive in Barbourville before your expected arrival date, or need temporary accommodations during a break, you may wish to make a reservation at one of these local hotels or bed and breakfast:
1476 S US Highway 25E
Barbourville, Kentucky, 40906-7317
US Phone: 606/546-8500
Towne Square Place Bed and Breakfast
230 Knox Street
Barbourville, Kentucky 40906
US Phone: 606/545-7256