The State of Kentucky requires a Rank I program to be a minimum of 30 hours beyond the initial Master of Arts (MA), or Masters of Science (MS) degree. Union offers six Rank I (MA +30) programs designed for teachers seeking rank change for salary purposes.
Union offers six Rank I programs designed for teachers seeking rank change for salary purposes.
Rank I Programs for Certified Teachers
- MA Curriculum and Instruction
- MA Educational Leadership
- MA Teacher as Leader
- MA Reading and Writing Endorsement
- MA Special Education - LBD
- MA Supervisor of Instruction
Rank I Programs that lead to an Endorsement:
MA Teacher as Leader leads to a Teacher as Leader (KTLE) endorsement
MA Reading and Writing leads to Reading and Writing P-12 (MAE) endorsement
Rank I Programs that lead to a Certification:
MA Supervisor of Instruction leads to Professional Certificate for Instructional Leadership – Supervisor of Instruction P-12 (KLV1) certification
- Level II Certification requires an additional 12 hours
Students from states other than Kentucky are encouraged to contact their state’s professional standards board to inquire about certifications.
MA Special Education – LBD and successfully passing the PRAXIS II exam can qualify to teach
The State of Kentucky considers a Rank I program to be a planned program of study submitted by a university or college with 30 hours beyond an initial Master of Arts in Education.
Only students that possess a master’s degree may pursue the MA Supervisor of Instruction or the MA Reading and Writing programs.
Requirements to complete the admission process:
- Complete the graduate application
- Pay the $25 Application Fee
- Submit Official Undergraduate & Graduate transcripts. *Please note – Students pursuing a RankI/Master’s +30 program, must have a Master’s degree*.
* A maximum of fifteen semester hours may be transferred toward the Rank I program if none were used at the Masters level.