Finding Aid 30
Union College Archives
UC 23.1 Fiftieth Anniversary Jubilee Celebration
Record Group : 23
Collection : 1
Location : Archive Box
Processing Information : Finding Aid created by
Bruce Miracle on June 1, 2007.
"The Fiftieth Anniversary Jubilee Celebration took place from Saturday, May 25 to May 29, 1929. The first day was used for a combined founders’ and alumni day, the second for the Baccalaureate, the third for the meeting of trustees and the historical pageant, the fourth for the academy commencement and the fifth for a special address in the morning on Union’s future, followed by commencement exercises at night. James P. Faulkner delivered the principal Founders’ Day address, and A. M. Decker gave a talk on Union’s early history."
(Union College, 1879-1979 by Marigold and Bradley, p.97)
- Historical Pageant source materials – Contains various clippings concerning local and area history PLUS the following typed papers (probably for oral presentation):
- “Dr. Thomas Walker – Kentucky’s First Explorer” by Dr. John Owen Gross (President).
- “Bishop William McKendree”
- “Bishop Francis Asbury”
- “Bishop Richard Whatcoat”
- Untitled 14 page paper covering the history of the area, the Methodist Church in Kentucky, and the history of Union College.
- Photocopy of a play entitled: “A Pageant of the Mountain People Celebrating the Semi-centennial of Union College” by James Watt Raine.
NOTE: The pages are in some disorder, some parts appear to be missing while there are extra copies of some sections.