The Weeks-Townsend Memorial Library sits almost in the very center of the Union College campus. WTML came from humble beginnings as a single room of what was then known as the Administration Building (today’s Centennial Hall). The library, known as the Speed-Stevenson Library, served the needs of the students until 1941.
WTML as we know it today began in 1941. The Georgian-style two-story brick structure was built in 1939, dedicated in 1940, and opened for service in January 1941. The original library was named for Miss Abigail E. Weeks, a professor of History and English, head of the English department and Union’s first librarian starting in 1910. The library underwent expansion in 1987, freeing up rooms on the second floor of Centennial Hall to once again be used as classroom space. In 1993, this expansion was dedicated as the Milton H. Townsend Library Annex. Mr. Townsend served the college in many capacities from his graduation from Union in 1948, until the time of his death in 1992. After this dedication the library became officially known as the Weeks-Townsend Memorial Library.
Marigold, W.G. (Ed.). Union College, 1879-1979. c1979.