The English major will study both literature and writing. Requirements promote understanding of the expressive capacities of language and appreciation of the psychological, cultural, and historical insights of literature. Students learn, as well, how to think and critically and communicate effectively in a variety of contexts. Graduates find careers in a wide range of fields including teaching, business and industry, public relations, and journalism. An English major provides excellent preparation for graduate study in a variety of areas.
Upon graduation from Union College with a major in English, students should be able to:
- Write essays that follow the conventions of standard English usage, that are clear, organized, developed, and thoughtful, and that demonstrate awareness of audience.
- Read literature with understanding, appreciation, and judgment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the major traditions of English and American literature.
- Discuss a literary work in the context of its historical period or genre.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the nature and functions of language or of the historical development of English.
To view the Curriculum Plan, please click this link: